Tips for mold prevention and removal
Molds are quite common in our world, in buildings and homes. Mold will grow in places with a lot of moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, or where there has been flooding. Places like Oklahoma are prime areas for mold, as the temperatures fluctuate, causing humidity in our homes and businesses to build up.
Molds thrive on moisture and reproduce by means of tiny, lightweight spores that travel through the air. You're exposed to mold every day in some cases, mold can be good — it's essential in making brie and penicillin, for example. In small amounts, mold spores are usually harmless, but when they land on a damp spot in your home, they can start to grow and it can also be bad, especially when it grows undetected in your home.
Mold grows well on porous materials such as paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, sheetrock, and wood products.
Here are some tips to prevent mold from growing in your home or business.
- Identify problem areas in your home and correct them. If you need help identifying problems, contact our SERVPRO team and we can help diagnose the problem areas.
- Dry wet areas immediately.
- Prevent moisture with proper ventilation throughout, under (if you have a crawl space) and in the attic space of your home.
- Equip your home with mold-resistant products.
- Monitor humidity indoors. The ideal relative humidity for health and comfort is somewhere between 30-50% humidity, according to the Mayo Clinic. Indoor thermometers with humidity scale are an inexpensive way to keep an eye on humidity levels.
- Direct water away from your home to keep moisture form collecting under your house.
- Clean or repair roof gutters that may be holding water or allowing water to get under your shingles and seep into your home’s attic.
- Improve air flow in throughout your home.
- Keep mold off household plants.
- Check your HVAC vents for mold, where mold can easily grow. A quick inspection by your local SERVPRO technician can determine if you do have any mold issues. SERVPRO of Mayes and Wagoner Counites can clean your HVAC ductwork.
Remember mold can be dangerous and removal of mold should be done by licensed and trained professionals, such as your SERVPRO of Mayes and Wagoner Counites team.
And there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to mold prevention. Knowing what works for your climate and your home is an important first step. SERVPRO can help to diagnose what action is needed to remove the mold and help future prevention.
If you have any questions, call your SERVPRO of Mayes and Wagoner Counites, 918-486-1055. 24/7 Emergency Response.