Recent General Posts
SERVPRO: For All of Your Restoration Needs!
SERVPRO of Mayes & Wagoner Counties should always be your primary choice for any of your restoration services; from water and fire restoration, to mold mitigation, to duct cleaning — you name it — we do it all!
Not only that, but we are available 24/7 for any and all of your needs. We are there when you need us, especially during odd hours and times when you would need us most.
There is no flood too small, and no fire loss too large for us to handle; we tackle each job with a steadfast commitment to complete our goals on time, professionally, and with the utmost care.
Don't believe us? Check out our Google and Facebook reviews — we take great pride in being able to provide quality service to our residents.
If you ever need a restoration company you can count on, you know who to call...
SERVPRO of Mayes & Wagoner Counties!
Space Heater Safety
With the cost and hassle of replacing central heat, a lot of people are using more space heaters. These heaters can lower your energy bills by adding direct warmth to the rooms you use more frequently. But while these portable heaters can be both efficient and economical, there are a few things you need to keep in mind when putting one in your home.
When shopping for a space heater make sure to buy one that fits your needs. Buying a larger heater for a smaller area can cause your utility bills to be higher. A small heater being used to cover a larger area will cause it to work harder. Make sure to buy a heater with overheat protection.
Room heaters with overheat protection switches function by using a temperature sensor to detect when internal components become too hot. When an unsafe temperature is detected, the switch automatically shuts off the unit to prevent overheating. Most new space heater also offer tip over protection. This feature shuts the space heater off if it accidentally tips over. Another great feature is the cool-touch feature where the exterior part of the heater is safe to touch for houses with children or pets.
One good rule is to always plug a space heater directly into an outlet. Plugging directly into an outlet helps prevent over heating. Plugging into an extension cord can cause fires, overheating, or a chance of electrical shock. Remember that if you do have to plug into an extension cord use one that is rated for the size of the space heater.
Stay away from using space heaters in humid areas and bathrooms. To avoid shock do not touch a space heater with wet hands or any type of water. Remember to always shut off your heater when leaving the area. Some heaters have automatic timers that shut off for you, but leaving a heater on and unsupervised can be very costly and dangerous.
Educating yourself about the safety hazards that come with the improper use of portable heaters will help you achieve better peace of mind as you keep your home warm, comfortable, and fire hazard-free this winter.
Christmas Tree Fire Safety
Don’t let Christmas ever heat up too much — with fire that is. Christmas trees alone result in 13 million dollars a year in property damage. More importantly, these fires can be dangerous to your family and friends. Tree dryness, electrical malfunctions, and poor location can be a deadly combination when showcasing a live tree in your home.
Here are some safety tips for your tree to help unwanted surprises during the Hollidays.
-Keep the bases of the tree well watered to prevent it from drying out.
-Keep away from heat sources such as heaters, fireplaces, or light sources such as candles.
-Fresh trees are less likely to catch fire, so look for a tree with vibrant green needles that are hard to pluck and don’t break easily from its branches.
-Do not forget to turn the Christmas lights on the tree out at night.
-Be sure to plug your lights into a ground-fault circuit interrupter protected receptacle.
Don’t let your Holliday season burn out and go up in flames. Remember these few safety tips to help make sure your Holliday season goes as planned.